Sunday, June 19, 2005

Day 19 - Teslin, AK to Muncho Lake, BC

Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the buffalo play...



Today was another one of those days where it really felt like two different days.

Morning started by getting geared up for rain before we head out. It has rained on us a little the last couple days and today might be the day we actually hit rain. The sky looks like it could rain.

After riding for an hour we pulled over for a rest stop. It has not rained yet and it doesn't look any different that it did starting out. What we do notice is that it is colder than when we started. So Don and I opt to add another layer of clothing to keep warm. Walt never seems to get cold so he just watches us with our preparations.

It pays to be meticulous and methodical in preparing for a ride. I still don't have that all down because I haven't ridden enough times to figure out exactly what needs to be done to make the riding gear work perfectly. I got all of the snaps, zippers, and flaps closed up this time but for the next hour or so I have very cold wrists. I hadn't figured out yet how to get my rain jacket and gloves to work best together to avoid an air gap. So, I have another hour thinking about how cold my wrists are.

At the next rest stop we're in pretty good shape but it is still cold out here. The wind chill factor must be pretty stout. I'm guessing that the temperature is in the low to mid 40's and at 65-70 miles per hour that probably feels like the 30's. To give you a little idea about the temperature we took our gloves off at this rest stop and placed our hands directly on Walt and Don's engines. Not too hot! Just nice hand warmers!

At this temperature I don't find there is much on my mind except riding and figuring out what I'm going to alter at the next stop! Good thing the scenery hasn't changed any from yesterday to today.

Just over half way through our day the gray skies break up and change to mostly blue with clouds and it warms up. I take off my rain gear. The landscape is changing. We've left the Yukon now and are heading into British Columbia. The forests are more full and lush and there is more grassy land along the highway.

At one point Don's spots a bear at the edge of the forest next to the highway. By the time we turn around and search for it to get a picture it is gone. Shortly after that we get a major treat. Buffalo are sunning, dusting, grazing, and sleeping alongside the highway. First we see a group of two. That was all I expected to see. Then we see a single buffalo. Then the big find. We see a group of about a dozen buffalo and maybe six calves! (I'd trade a bear sighting for these buffalo anytime.)

Now the cold of the morning is fading away. Things are beautiful, warm, and fun again! It is almost another day.

We hit another stretch of highway construction. It is several miles long but in pretty good shape. (I think I've earned my beginners certificate for dirt and gravel roads.)

We are now heading into the northern Canadian Rockies. The mountains here look different than Alaskan mountains. More like what we're used to in the Sierra Nevadas. The final ride into Mucho Lake Provincial Park is quite enjoyable.

I'm feeling refreshed again. We're going to have a day off from riding and spend it here at Muncho Lake. I'm looking forward to the next phase of the trip which is down the Canadian Rockies, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton.

It's been a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home